From: liz cooper <[log in to unmask]>
To: OCC-HEALTH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:33
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Aspergers

Hi Carr

My son has Asperger's and he quite often makes inappropriate comments quite innocently, without any realisation of the impact it may have on others. The other issue with this syndrome is the inability to read social cues and body language, so he will probably have no idea that what he is saying is not acceptable unless someone directly tells him. Without this inherent ability, individuals with Asperger's don't tend to have skills to develop scenarios in their minds so repeat things they have seen or experienced. For example, my son will play out scenes from tv programmes, when he gets to the end of the 'episode' he breaks off the game, he also becomes very agitated when others try to introduce other elements to the game because they are not part of the known experience.

The Asperger's Syndrome Foundation have some good information leaflets about the common traits for these individuals, and may be able to offer some help in this case (http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/).

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards

Liz