I am forwarding a message from Candice Jacobs that did not make it to the list, see below please:

Dear Beryl (& all),

I believe the online curatorial project Accidental Purpose by Fay Nicolson and I, deals with this question you pose: where online curatorial 'context' has been presented in a different way from offline 'context'?

Accidental Purpose allowed us to work with over 100 artists, writers and curators inviting them to respond to the ideas presented within Accidentally on Purpose, a physical (offline) exhibition that we simultaneously curated at QUAD in Derby.  The exhibition explored the relationship between success and failure by using common place materials, everyday situations and repetitious processes as a point of departure.   As artists and curators we collaborated with the artist & web designer Oliver Smith to come up with a solution for the display of 100 works online in one online space, that would both challenge the idea of what it means to curate as well as curatorially responding to a physical exhibition to sit horizontally alongside it.  Together we came up with an online curatorial framework that acted as a random display device for the 100 artworks.  Each time a visitor visits the website they will be presented with a new presentation and selection of works, each selection (or curated online exhibition if you like) would vary in the amount of works displayed, the placement of works and the aesthetic of the online space.  As a viewer (and also curator perhaps), you can continue to refresh the page (or curate another exhibition) by clicking on the refresh icon.

As an artist I am very interested in modes of display via the manipulation and control of an audience within an exhibition context, and in a way this is something I was also thinking about with the online project Sleeping Upright, where online exhibitions were perhaps less about curation and more about gathering artworks together to create online collections.  The future objective of these online exhibitions/online collections is for them to be sold each as a  collection of digital works.  They could be seen to be mimicking that of the printed edition or a collection of printed editioned works that organisations such as Studio Voltaire or S1 Artspace put together, which present a selection of artists works in a uniform way.

+ I should also point out that the artworks on the Accidental
Purpose<http://www.accidentalpurpose.net>website can also be moved
around and re-arranged on the screen by the
viewer.

Candice