From: Paul Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

> The Persée site is amazing.

yes, it is.

all sorts of stuff --best to just go through the whole list, download whatever
you like and put everything on your hard drive for easy access later.

Persée has complete runs of stuff like the Bibliotheque de l'École de
chartes, for example --in scans that are much better than those on Gallica.

>As well as the *Mélanges de l'École française de Rome*, there are many
other treasures:

>*Revue d'histoire de l'Église de France* (187 Issues, 3354 Articles,
1910-1984)

don't think that i've grabbed that --yet.

>*Cahiers de Civilisation Médiévale* (191 Issues, 4972 Articles,
1958-2007)

and have not seen the more recent vols. of that --they weren't there the last
time i looked.

>As far as my inexpert eye can tell, they have also been attentive to
state-of-the-art metadata requirements (OAI-PMH, DOI, MarcXML. MODS, Dublin
Core).

yes.

why, it's almost as though someone who put together that site gave a thought
to how it might be used.

now, *that* is amazing.

don't remember whether it has been mentioned or not, but

http://hathitrust.org

is also quite good --apparently a project of cooperating U.S. and Canadian
libraries (i don't think that there are any European ones).

it's "metadata" cataloging is not as good as Persée. but infinitely better
than the Hapless Googlistas or even Gallica.

however, i think that it requires a subscription for access.

it's almost getting to the point where an Industrious Young Fellow can carry
around a pretty damned good reference library in his shirt pocket on a
portable 5Gb hard drive... (i suppose that girls could use their purses.)

> On 20 December 2012 11:28, George FERZOCO <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > Dear medieval-religion colleagues:
> >
> > I didn't know about this -- very cool indeed!
> >
> > http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/revue/mefr
> >
> > Best wishes, George
> >
> > --
> > George FERZOCO
> >

> --
> Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
> Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014
>  |  Australia
> office: (07) 3246 9888  |  home: (07) 3246 9894

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]