Hi Joyce,

Here in Nottinghamshire we decided to subscribe to the Zinio e-mags service in March this year. Finally went live (after many trials and tribulations) in November. I chose 138 mags, of which only 55 are currently available. We have also had quite a few users who haven't received their email authentication, plus it is not as simple to use as was first demonstrated.

Some of this is due to hackers which meant than Zinio had to tighten up on procedures. Also, I don't think Zinio were really prepared for a library market. We have yet to advertise outside of the library community. A press release is going out tomorrow and I await with bated breath to see how they will cope with the influx of new users.

However, on the plus side, we have 500 live users within a month and anecdotal feedback is generally good. The top 10 most clicked on include a number of "male interest" type mags (no, not Playboy and Nuts!). New Scientist is the most popular with Digital Camera World, National Geographic and NME doing well. Also Good Housekeeping, BBC Good Food and Hello as you might expect.

I have heard of a few people joining the library just to access the mags which is good news.

WFHowes have tried hard to resolve problems as soon as possible.

To anyone thinking of subscribing, I wouldn't want to put you off as it is a very good service. However, I might want to hold back a while to let them resolve their issues.

Hope this helps.

Fiona.
Principal Librarian: Resources
Children, Families and Cultural Services
County Library Headquarters
Glaisdale Parkway
Nottingham
NG8 4GP
email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 0115 982 9031
Mobile: 07836291515

I'm reading "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hilary Mantel.  What are you reading?