BBC News : 11th December
Cornwall Council privatisation 'middle way agreed'
It means that libraries, benefits and council tax collection, procurement, which is the buying of services and goods, One Stop Shops which offer advice on council services, would continue to be run by the council.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-20677599

THE BOOKSELLER : 12th December
Twelve per cent of all libraries to be community-run by spring
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/twelve-cent-all-libraries-be-community-run-spring.html

Infoism : 11th December
The remarkable resilience of our public library service
Includes the author's infographic, plus his further analysis and comment
http://infoism.co.uk/blog/2012/12/the-remarkable-resilience-of-our-public-library-service/

I J Clark : 12th December
Infographic - The state of UK public libraries
An excellent presentation of comparative data from 2008/9 to 2011/12, based on CIPFA statistics sourced from The Guardian
http://infogr.am/The-state-of-UK-public-libraries

Public Libraries News : 11th December
"We’re as frustrated as you are": SCL "Stakeholder Forum" with library campaigners
http://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/2012/12/were-as-frustrated-as-you-are-the-society-of-chief-librarians-stakeholder-forum-with-library-campaigners.html

Public Libraries News : 11th December
200 libraries lost in 2011
http://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/2012/12/200-libraries-lost-in-2011.html

Phil Bradley's Weblog : 11th December
UK library stats: depressing
Some people (mainly politicians I suspect) will simply start bleating on about how it means that we don't need libraries any more, and how out moded they have become, and they willl use the decrease in use as further justification for further cuts. This is of course totally nonsensical.
http://philbradley.typepad.com/phil_bradleys_weblog/2012/12/uk-library-stats-depressing.html

Forbes.com : 11th December
The Wrong War Over eBooks: Publishers Vs. Libraries
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvinjamuri/2012/12/11/the-wrong-war-over-ebooks-publishers-vs-libraries/

Brent & Kilburn Times : 12th December
Kensal Rise Library listed as a 'community asset' by Brent Council
The move means the group will have a Community Right to Bid, which would prevent the sale to anyone else for six months. The building, which is owned by All Souls College in Oxford, is one of six libraries shut down by Brent Council last year.
http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/kensal_rise_library_listed_as_a_community_asset_by_brent_council_1_1739435

Harrow Observer : 12th December
Library building protected as community asset
The college was contacted for a comment.
http://www.harrowobserver.co.uk/west-london-news/local-harrow-news/2012/12/12/116451-32412766/

Northern Echo : 11th December
Free internet access at Redcar and Cleveland libraries
People had previously paid charges of £1 for an hour, £3 for three months' or £10 for a year's unlimited use.  Councillor Olwyn Peters, cabinet member for culture, leisure and tourism, said: "Internet use in our libraries has always proved extremely popular. We had 51,447 people taking advantage in the last year alone.  We hope that, by removing these charges, even more people will take the opportunity to get themselves online."
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10100720.Free_internet_access_at_Redcar_and_Cleveland_libraries/

Kidderminster Shuttle : 12th December
Kidderminster Library gallery campaigners fight on despite vote defeat
http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/local/10102387.Kidderminster_Library_gallery_campaigners_fight_on_despite_vote_defeat/?ref=nt

Frances Hendrix

Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs, PR6 7QR

Tel:  01257 274 833.   Mobile: 0777 55 888 03