From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor, Sarah
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 5:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [lis-e-resources] Use of bibliographic management software

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this query, so apologies, but I have a question about the use of bibliographic management software.

We are currently using bibliographic management software for which we pay an annual subscription. A few months ago, we ran a focus group for academics and researchers at which the question of bibliographic management software came up. It transpired that although all the participants  were aware of our paid-for software, most of them preferred to use Mendeley. For reasons that remain a mystery to me, our paid-for solution comes with 'problems', and some of my colleagues feel that it is not getting used as a result.

We are now considering not renewing our current bibliographic management software solution, and instead encouraging users to use free options such as Mendeley, which again, we know is not perfect, but would seem to be the solution of choice for many academics and researchers here.

Has anyone else done something similar? Or do you all pay a subscription for your bibliographic management software? If anyone has decided to go the free route, I'd be interested to hear your experiences. I will summarise to the list.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Taylor

Electronic Resources Librarian

The Peter Marsh Library

University of Bolton

Deane Road

Bolton

BL3 5AB

01204 903099

Please note that my normal working days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org UKSG groups also available on Facebook and LinkedIn Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG