From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of GRUBB, Tim
Sent: 18 December 2012 15:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Digital reports and pdf/a

Hi

In Gloucestershire we are thinking of removing our requirement for contractors to submit both a bound and digital copy of fieldwork reports to the HER. In the future we are thinking of simply asking for pdf or pdf/a. This is for a number of reasons:

·         we are running out of space to store hard-copy reports;

·         we are happy that our corporate back-up policy is good enough;

·         we nearly always use the digital copies to answer enquiries;

·         and our DC officer spends an inordinate amount of time chasing contractors for the bound copy so we assume they would much rather not spend time printing and binding them.

Can I ask whether:

·         many other HERs just receive a digital information?

·         has anyone run into any problems

·         and (this might be a contentious one) is it fair/appropriate/possible to ask for pdf/a

Thanks and merry Christmas!!

Tim

Tim Grubb - HER Officer
Gloucestershire County Council Archaeology Service
Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester. GL1 2TH
Tel - 01452 425705
Email - [log in to unmask]
Web - www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archaeology
HER Enquiries. www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/her

cid:image001.png@01CBB185.D3E30B70

Go to www.gloucestershire.gov.uk to find information on any County Council service. It couldn’t be easier to find information instantly and in some cases apply for services online.

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person unless express permission is given. If you are not a named recipient, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to check for software viruses.