From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of GRUBB, Tim
Sent: 18 December 2012 15:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Digital reports and pdf/a

Hi
In Gloucestershire we are thinking of removing our requirement for contractors to submit both a bound and digital copy of fieldwork reports to the HER. In the future we are thinking of simply asking for pdf or pdf/a. This is for a number of reasons:

*         we are running out of space to store hard-copy reports;

*         we are happy that our corporate back-up policy is good enough;

*         we nearly always use the digital copies to answer enquiries;

*         and our DC officer spends an inordinate amount of time chasing contractors for the bound copy so we assume they would much rather not spend time printing and binding them.

Can I ask whether:

*         many other HERs just receive a digital information?

*         has anyone run into any problems

*         and (this might be a contentious one) is it fair/appropriate/possible to ask for pdf/a

Thanks and merry Christmas!!

Tim

Tim Grubb - HER Officer
Gloucestershire County Council Archaeology Service
Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester. GL1 2TH
Tel - 01452 425705
Email - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Web - www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archaeology<http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archaeology>
HER Enquiries. www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/her<http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/her>
[cid:143120316@18122012-25D5]
Go to www.gloucestershire.gov.uk<http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk> to find information on any County Council service. It couldn't be easier to find information instantly and in some cases apply for services online.

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.

Buckinghamshire County Council
Visit our Web Site : http://www.buckscc.gov.uk
Buckinghamshire County Council Email Disclaimer

This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed.  It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly.  If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author or [log in to unmask] immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately.  Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify.  You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.

Buckinghamshire County Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this email.

All GCSx traffic may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Buckinghamshire County Council unless explicitly stated.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for content and for the presence of computer viruses.