Morning all

Here is the latest publication from NIACE. At first glance you may think “what has a publication on the Work Programme got to do with museums?”. Indeed, if you are anything like me you might first ask “what is the Work Programme!?”

Good question.

My view is that adults learn best in context. Why should adults sit in a polystyrene-ceilinged, harshly-lit, desk-scattered room in a college or job centre in order to develop their maths, language and confidence skills (in order to return to and/or begin employment), when they can learn in an environment to which they can relate (i.e. a museum with relevant/exploitable collections)?

You guys in the museum world have an opportunity here to creatively engage with the adult skills agenda and work together with external partners. How better to show the world that museums are not just semi-irrelevant warehouses of “stuff” which are preferably viewed when it is cold and wet outside? (not the views of the author of this e-mail I hasten to add)

I am regularly fighting your corner in the adult learning sector, so I need you to begin a pincer movement on it…

Please do let me know if you do any work related to this issue and/or if you intend to explore future work as a result of the publication.

Cheers

Essex