Just to echo Nick's words that GEM is involved at policy level – GEM sit on the steering group of the Cultural Learning Alliance (CLA) and we speak regularly to colleagues in the DfE.

There are things we can all be doing to push to get the broad and balanced curriculum our children need. The CLA newsletter last month listed six which I've pasted below.

If you haven't signed up to be a member of the CLA (it's fast and free) please do – you can also opt in to get our newsletter which included information on policy, consultations and the like.

Sam

Samantha Cairns

Cultural Learning Alliance

www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk

Please note that I work part time at the CLA and may take a few days to respond to your message

The Cultural Learning Alliance (CLA) is a collective voice working to ensure that all children and young people have meaningful access to culture in this difficult economic climate.

Sign up today to get involved: http://www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk/sign-up

Follow us on Twitter: @culturelearning

Follow us on Facebook at the Cultural Learning Alliance page

Join the Cultural Learning Alliance professional network at LinkedIn

http://www.culturallearningalliance.org.uk/news.aspx?id=93

1. Brief your board and governors

Your Chairs, governors and board members are key influencers and we need them to make this case to politicians, the press, headteachers, funders, policy makers, decision makers and advisors. We also need them to recruit the business community to this cause – we need voices from the commercial sector speaking up about the importance of the arts and culture.

We have put together the attached document, which sets out the issues and arguments around the EBacc and we are asking you to table and distribute it at your next meeting.

We know this is a complex issue, if you would like us to talk to your Chair directly about this, just get in touch: [log in to unmask]

2. Brief your Communications team

If you have a communications or marketing team that talks to the press or puts together positions for your organisation, give them these messages so that they can incorporate them in their work.

3. Use the evidence

Use our Key Research Findings, our ImagineNation document and our Drama in schools document to make the case to your local school and community. Tell us what other evidence and statistics you need.

4. Campaign!

Sign up to the ISM’s Bacc for the Future CampaignIt is calling for the Education Select Committee to launch an enquiry into the EBacc and to interrogate why the arts and cultural subjects haven’t been included.

5. Write to your MP

This webpage tells you how.

Use the board briefing and the evidence to help you make your case and ask your MP to write to the Secretary of State for Education (Michael Gove) on your behalf. The system is structured so that he will have to respond to you.

6. Respond to the DfE’s current consultation on Key Stage 4 Qualifications

This consultation asks key questions about the EBacc and its structure. You can find all the information about how to respond here.