Dear Fsl experts,

Sorry for my insistence but I really need your experience with this.

---------- Mensaje reenviado ----------
De: "Rosalia Dacosta Aguayo" <[log in to unmask]>
Fecha: 30/12/2012 14:23
Asunto: RSNs interpretation...Dr. Beckmann? Difficult question
Para: "FSL - FMRIB's Software Library" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Fsl experts,

I have a problem with one interpretation I am doing about resting state networks with MELODIC.
With my patients, I detected 6 RSNs affected: four with hyper-activity and 2 with hypo-activity probably related to the site of the lesion.

The problem is as follows: many of the brain areas are repeated in those different networks. I have been reading and I have found, as simple example, that putamen is a brain area related to the Basal Ganglia network, but is related to the DMN too...

As far as I know, I interpreted RSNs from a whole perspective, that is, they work together although they can be related to different functions.

In the DMN I found stronger hyper-activity in the left frontal opercular cortex...and discrete hyper-activity in other areas related to this network. For the Fronto-temporal network I found hypo-activity in the right precuneous cortex, a hub area related with the DMN but that has not appeared in the DMN....I have been looking at all the significant brain areas related to the different RSNs I have found. My conclusion is that there is a disruption in the DMN where the anterior regions are hyper-activated whereas the posterior regions (preguneus cortex) are hypo-activated...and I have interpreted that this disruption could be the responsible of the dysfunction of the other networks and for the cognitive impairment showed for my patients too, because of the relevance of the DMN for a good brain functionality and good integration of information between the other RSNs.

My question is: it is right to make an analysis where I look at the brain areas affected in the different RSNs as a whole and not only at the significant RSNs as single networks working separately? In fact, in the main of the RSNs appears repeated disruption in the same brain areas and these areas, although related with the RSNs in particular, are related with the DMN too.

This interpretation is right?, could be accepted?...is "legal"?

Many thanks for your helping and Happy New Year to all of you.

Yours sincerely,

Rosalia Dacosta.