Dear BettyAnn,

Sorry to hear about your long-term frustration.
The easiest way to achieve your goal is to use the Renderstats GUI which will output the desired overlay command.  For instance, I just ran one to do the sort of thing you are saying and it produced the command:

/usr/local/fsl/bin/overlay 1 0 /Users/mark/testdir/example_func 0.000000 8836.757812 /Users/mark/testdir/zstat1 2.5 15.546515 /Users/mark/testdir/zstat1 -2.5 -10 /Users/mark/testdir/outputimage

This command was displayed in the terminal window, so you can then use this for subsequent scripting calls or just avoid the GUI thereafter.

I suspect that your command were probably failing just due to the order of the negative thresholds (which are confusing).

Once you have this image file output from overlay, slicer works straightforwardly (no need to specify any colourmap options at all).

All the best,
	Mark