Dear Wolf: Thanks for helping out Lorena!  I concur she's using it
correctly.

Lorena:  If you want to make the results more accurate, I'd do as Wolf
suggests and combine the smoothness files together.

-Tom

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM, wolf zinke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As far as I can see, these steps follow the example from Tom Nichols post
> you linked the last time. So it should be fine.
>
> good luck,
> wolf
>

> On 12/07/2012 10:29 PM, Lorena Jimenez-Castro wrote:
>
>> Dear Wolf,
>>
>> Thank you so much for your prompt response and explanation,
>>
>> Just a quick confirmation,  if I want to use "easythres_conj" script
>> (without a smoothness)  instead of "easythres", to see the common
>> activation of three z-maps UN-thresholded and to obtain the corrected
>> statistics, Am I doing the right thing using the following steps?
>>
>> A) fslmaths group1_zstat1.nii.gz -min group2_zstat1.nii.gz
>> group1_min_group2_zstat
>> B) easythresh_conj group1_min_group2_zstat group3_zstat1  mask.nii.gz 2.3
>> 0.01 MNI152_T1_2mm_brain.nii.gz grot
>>
>> Once again thank you very much,
>>
>> Lorena
>>

>> -- Lorena Jimenez-Castro, MD
>> Postdoctoral Fellow
>> Research Imaging Institute
>> University of Texas Health Science Center
>> 8403 Floyd Curl Drive
>> San Antonio, TX 78229
>> __________
>>
>> 2012/12/7 wolf zinke <[log in to unmask]>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [I am no Prof but just wolf ;-)]
>>
>> I am sorry  that I can't really follow you right now, or see, where you
>> approach contradicts that in the linked post.
>>
>> The use of this different numbers of arguments lead to some different
>> behavior of the easythres_conj script regarding its output. If you provide
>> a mask, as well as the two subsequent numbers specifying a cluster z and
>>  thresholds, this script applies a conjunction analysis using the minimum
>> statistics approach AND also applies a cluster thresholding in order to
>> obtain corrected statistics. If you just provide a z-threshold, this is
>> only used for rendering the stats on the background image.
>>
>> So maybe the usage depends a bit on what you want to get out of this
>> script. If you look into this script (and maybe compare it with FSLs
>> easythresh script), you will see, that basically the 'conjunction analysis'
>> is the fslmaths call with the -m options. All the rest is about correcting
>> stats and rendering them.
>>
>> Therefore I made in my last reply the suggestion just to run fslmaths
>> with -min option using all your three groups, and use a subsequent call on
>> the output with easythresh in order to get cluster corrected statistics, If
>> I am not wrong, this should be quiet similar to what was described in the
>> linked post, but you might have a small (neglectable?) bias because of the
>> less accurate estimation of the smoothness.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>> wolf
>>

>> On 12/07/2012 04:30 PM, Lorena Jimenez-Castro wrote:
>> Dear Professor Wolf and Professor Tom Nichols,
>>
>>    I greatly appreciate your answer Professor Wolf, However I am a little
> [...]

Thomas Nichols, PhD
Principal Research Fellow, Head of Neuroimaging Statistics
Department of Statistics & Warwick Manufacturing Group
University of Warwick, Coventry  CV4 7AL, United Kingdom

Web: http://go.warwick.ac.uk/tenichols
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone, Stats: +44 24761 51086, WMG: +44 24761 50752
Fax:  +44 24 7652 4532