Ahmed

From: Evidence based health (EBH)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patricia Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RCTs

Hi, Susan,

You are correct that ORIGINALLY the Cochrane CENTRAL database was comprised
of information identified by the systematic review researchers in the
Cochrane Collaboration. A few years ago they enriched the database with
content scraped from MEDLINE and EMBASE through automatic searches based on
filters such as the example you share. Thus, while CENTRAL still contains
all the content identified by the human experts, it no longer contains only
that information. I haven't encountered a situation in which anyone has
found a citation that doesn't belong, but it is possible.

We had a huge debate for one Cochrane study I was working on where another
librarian felt it was inappropriate to search either MEDLINE or EMBASE,
since we were already searching CENTRAL and CENTRAL presumably contains the
content scraped from the other databases. That was what brought this to my
attention. We did end up agreeing to search all three databases, but for me
the whole conversation highlighted the subtleties of the overlaps and
uniqueness of the different databases.

<http://www.cochrane.org/handbook/6332-searching-medline-and-embase-specific
-issues>

"Despite the fact that both MEDLINE and
<http://www.cochrane.org/glossary/5#term220> EMBASE have been searched
systematically for reports of trials and that these reports of trials have
been included in CENTRAL, as described in Sections
<http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/cochrane/handbook/chapter_6/6_3_2_1_what_is_in
_the_cochrane_central_register_of_controlled.htm> 6.3.2.1 and
<http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/cochrane/handbook/chapter_6/6_3_2_2_what_is_in
_the_cochrane_central_register_of_controlled.htm> 6.3.2.2, supplementary
searches of both MEDLINE and EMBASE are recommended. Any such searches,
however, should be undertaken in the knowledge of what searching has already
been conducted to avoid duplication of effort."

 - Patricia

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Susan Fowler