This is very interesting. I am going to try a creative response to this one
and see if there are comments.

Firstly, some students will have been diagnosed during compulsory ed. So I
am talking here of those that haven't. When I do assessments I might
'screen' for ASD/ ADD/ADHD, then I might indicate that the client has a
profile of learning differences consonant with .....whichever aspect/s I was
asked to assess for and anything else that might come up Then, because in my
experience clients rarely have a single difference, I talk about their
predominant difference in relation to 'neurodiversity'. Following this,
because I like to use a social model of disability/difference I talk about
what they need, what support in the past that has been helpful/not helpful.
This is part of what I  like to call a learning portfolio/portfolio of need,
that they can add to over the years.  This is important, as most
professionals are trained, correctly to ask clients 'what can I do to help?'
and, most of clients say to me, they don't know what they need and want a
professional to help them find out.

I always state that if their profiles are suggestive of ASD/ and/or any
other difference that they require 'medical confirmation'  and they can use
the report as a basis for a referral to GP/ASD/Private Psychiatrist etc.

So, strictly speaking, you are correct, I/we cannot professionally diagnose,
and I always inform clients of this. Most of the time, my clients want
clarity about their difference rather than a 'diagnosis', and in the work
situation regarding disability and equalities, a diagnosis is not required,
and most would like advice around adjustments of various sorts, training in
communications, understanding of their needs etc.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a meeting at the National Autistic Society,
and it was good to communicate with needs assessors, of course what I
discovered was that there was a range of experiences and expectatons in
relation to what EPs did, and what they expected of EPs. Therefore imho, if
we can communicate effectively to try to find the best way of accessing
these students to support, we may well find an excellent way forward.

Best regards to all allied professionals engaged in supporting students with
disabilities.

Naomi Burgess Educational Psychologist

MSc EdPsych. C.Psychol.AFBPsS

Chartered BPS HPC Registered:  PYL03146

 <http://www.naomiburgess.com> www.naomiburgess.com

Naomi is a chartered educational psychologist with over 30 years'
experience. She works with both children and adults with learning
difficulties and disabilities. She consults with two major charities
supporting children and families with special educational needs. She is
published in her field and has taught in schools, colleges and university.

Disclaimer:

This email, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. If
received in error permanently delete: DO NOT keep, copy or share.

  _____