From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Schepers, Paul (DVS) [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 November 2012 18:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Research on Junction Safety

Dear Ian,

There are some studies on blind spot crashes for wich an Advance stop line is a good solution, see e.g. a Dutch study (http://www.swov.nl/rapport/r-2008-11a.pdf) and a German study by Niewohner: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv19/05-0344-O.pdf

There are several scientific papers on signalized junctions, e.g.:
- Jensen, 2008. Safety effects of blue cycle crossings: A before-after study. Accident Analysis and Prevention 40 742–750.
- Wang, Y., Nihan, N., 2004. Estimating the risk of collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles at signalized intersections. Accident Analysis and Prevention 26,
313–321.
and roundabouts, e.g.:
- Daniels, S., Nuyts, E., Wets, G., The effects of roundabouts on traffic safety for bicyclists: An observational study Accident Analysis and Prevention, 40 518–526.
- Hels, T., Orozova-Bekkevold, I., 2007. The effect of roundabout design features on cyclist accident rate. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 39, 300-307.
- I also like the following Swedish study: http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Nordic2safety.pdf The results of this study are in accordance with what is found in the Netherlands but our studies are almost completely in Dutch.

Always take into account that intersections and roundabouts (I'm most sure about the latter) are designed differently in different countries. The nice thing about the Swedish study is that desing features are well included in the study. So, the study is not just about whether a signalized intersection or roundabout is safest, but also about what roundabout design is safest for cyclists.

According tot Reynolds review study there is less literature on unsignalized intersections. So if you would like to include that, than maybe my paper 2011 paper 'Road factors and bicycle–motor vehicle crashes at unsignalized priority intersections' might be of interest if you.

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Paul