On Dec 13, 2012, at 1:52 AM, James Holton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[snip]

> So, what I would advise is to refine your model with data out to the resolution limit defined by CC*, but declare the "resolution of the structure" to be where the merged I/sigma(I) falls to 2. You might even want to calculate your Rmerge, Rcryst, Rfree and all the other R values to this resolution as well, since including a lot of zeroes does nothing but artificially drive up estimates of relative error.

So James --- it appears that you basically agree with my proposal?  I.e.,

(1) include all of the data in refinement (at least up to where CC1/2 or CC* is still "significant")

(2) keep the definition of resolution to what is more-or-less the defacto standard (res bin where I/sigI=2),

(3) report Table I where everything is calculated up to this resolution (where I/sigI=2), and

(4) maybe include in Supp Mat an additional table that reports statistics for all the data (I'm leaning towards a table with stats for each res bin)

As you argued, and as I argued, this seems to be a good compromise, one that modifies current practice to include weak data, but nevertheless does not change the def of resolution or the Table I stats, so that we can still compare with legacy structures/stats.