Dear Linda

As we described, we used an adapted minimal media to introduce SeCys into our recombinantly expressed protein. As a SeCys source, we used seleno-cistine (provided by Sigma) which is reduced to seleno-cysteine and incorporated into the proteins. It works really well and incorporation levels were high, without the need for any significant changes to the rich media protocol to produce protein. If you have a protein rich in Cys which you can currently express in E. Coli, it is worth trying this simple approach. You can then try SAD or MAD.

As for the more complicated methods, we didn't try them, so can't comment.

Good luck! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, I'd be happy to help.

HNY!

Best regards
Paula

Dr Paula S. Salgado
Lecturer in Macromolecular Crystallography
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences
Faculty of Medical Sciences
3rd Floor Cookson Building
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK