SENT ON BEHALF OF DR MARJORIE HARDING

I would not rule out Mg++ ever coordinating with a primary amine, but
it is much rarer than the reports in Mespeus suggest.

Mg++ with arginine:
Mespeus 10 finds 36 examples, but quick inspection of the list shows
that almost all have coordination number 4 or less, and Mg-N distances
in the region of 2.6-2.8A. These are surely water molecules
(isoelectronic with Mg++). The few with coordination number 5,6,7
should be inspected more carefully; Mg-O, Mg-N distances should be ~
2.1-2.2A, shape close to octahedral (perhaps with one position
missing, not identified), and B values of Mg and N similar and
reasonable. Coordination number 7 sometimes appears when there is a
Mg-O-Mg bridge and the second Mg is listed (wrongly) as a donor group.

Mg++ with lysine:
Mespeus_10 finds 33 examples. The story is similar to arginine, above.
The examples in 1iv4 and 3l8f just might be genuine. If they pass all
the above tests, does the refinement look good ? what were the
crystallisation conditions (pH etc) ?

None of these is done at a resolution better than 1.5A and most are 2-2.5A.

Mg++ with asn or gln:
same considerations, but also the interpretation may have selected the
wrong rotamer, substituing N where it should be O.

There is a lot of 'rubbish' like this in the PDB. I have long wondered
about devising a validating procedure but not found anyone else
interested yet.

Marjorie Harding

Quoting Ed Pozharski <[log in to unmask]> on Fri, 30 Nov 2012
09:40:26 -0500:

--
Malcolm Walkinshaw
Chair of Structural Biochemistry

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.