Serum or RBC folate:

There are many opinions but only a small evidence base for clinical use of serum or RBC folate:

Red cell or serum folate? Results from the National Pathology Alliance benchmarking review M Galloway, L Rushworth J Clin Pathol 2003;56:924–926

Smellie, W S A. Wilson, D. McNulty, C A M. Galloway, M J. Spickett, G A. Finnigan, D I. Bareford, D A. Greig, M A. Richards, J. Best practice in primary care pathology: review Journal of Clinical Pathology. 58(10):1016-24, 2005

Vitamin B12:

It is impractical in current clinical practice to use MMA to diagnose B12 deficiency.

Due to IF Ab interference, we need to get the kit manufacturers to stop using IF in the assay and to use an antibody instead.

The evidence base for HoloTC so far is not compelling to change from B12.

I await the next paper from R Carmel.

Hope that the mail base will provide more references for an evidence base.

Jeff

Auckland