From: Doc Holiday <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 7 December 2012, 14:56
Subject: Re: Breathalysers and toxicology in ED Psych patients

From: [log in to unmask]
> ...it is a defendable, accepted figure

--> Again, FOR WHAT?

We are not trying to establish anything about driving legality and/or safety. No need to defend anything.

> ... http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/research-and-statistical-reports/report15.pdf about the relationship between BAC and blood ethanol levels

--> Not helpful unless it shows ANY utility in deciding who can/not be seen by a psych team. I am not at all disputing the accuracy of the figures no matter how obtained or the relationship between blood & breath measurements. I simply don't see how they can HELP psych accept a referal when a senior ED doc think the patient should be seen. I can only see how levels may delay the process.

The issue comes not from the ED side but the psychiatric side

--> Of course!

It WOULD come from people who are NOT familiar with assessing patients who present to ED. This is probably THE major reason behind why it is not logical for EM to change practice to follow  it without evidence of benefit to patients.

> It allows everyone to be sure ‘the alcohol level is now >here< and falling’

--> Yes, but again, this cannot be useful to me if I have assessed the patient as ready to be interviewed by psych NOW, although it might be used to delay them accepting referal. In the opposite case, when I DON'T think the patient is ready, but the breathalyser is low, psych will not come anyway, as they will have no knowledge the patient exists yet - we would not refer if not ready.