Dear Vida,

in England sagittally split vertebrae for all three main domesticates have been found at the hillfort at Croft Ambrey (Herefordshire), but they are generically dated to the Iron Age.  Late Iron cattle examples derive from Skeleton Green (Hertfordshire). The pattern is rather common in Roman and medieval sites. For this latter period I have suggested that they are much more common in urban than rural sites (let me know if you want the paper). I suppose that the pattern intensified with increased urbanisation, but it is not peculiar to the modern era.

Cheers,
Umberto

            Whitehouse R and D. 1974. Fauna. 215-22 and Appendix 1. In: Stanford S C. Croft Ambrey, Hereford, excavation report. Privately published.

A         Ashdown R and Evans C. 1981. Mammalian bones. 205-35. In: Partridge C. Skeleton Green. A Late Iron Age Romano-British site. Britannia Monograph Series No. 2. London.

Albarella U. 2005. Meat consumption and production in town and country.  In  K. Giles and C. Dyer  (eds). Town and Country in the Middle Ages: Contrasts, Contacts and Interconnections, 1100-1500, pp.131-148. Leeds: Maney,  Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph 22.