Pg. 235 provides some archaeological evidence (with citations) for bone
used as fuel for fire:

*On the Role of Fire in Neandertal Adaptations in Western Europe: Evidence
from Pech de l'Azé and Roc de Marsal, France.*
*Pages 216-242*
Dennis M. Sandgathe, Harold L. Dibble, Paul Goldberg, Shannon P. McPherron,
Alain Turq, Laura Niven, and Jamie Hodgkins

Found here<http://www.paleoanthro.org/journal/contents_dynamic.asp?volume=2011>

Flint