Newcastle has a self rolled system based on querying the active directory,  it is integrated with location services on our mobile site to tell students availability and  nearest computer lab (which we call clusters)

see

http://m.ncl.ac.uk/iss/clusfree/

If you are interested I can put you in contact with the folk involved.

From: Managing institutional Web services [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Sweeting
Sent: 21 November 2012 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Real time computer availability

Hi all,

Please accept my apologies for cross posting.

We are currently investigating the possibility of displaying real time computer availability on our website and digital signage screens.  I have seen the end-user information on other institution's websites where the information is broken down by clusters, which is something which we would like to replicate.  Whilst I have some idea of how to achieve a solution using a home-brew, I wanted to open the issue up for discussion and see what the best way to implement it would be, whether through a home-brew or commercially available solution.

The computers we wish to provide information for are Active Directory controlled PCs.  It would be nice to extend it to iMacs too, if possible.

Any thoughts and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Scott

----

Scott Sweeting

Web Developer

University of Sunderland

Student and Learning Support

T: +44 (0)191 515 2424

W: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk

University of Sunderland - Shortlisted for the Times Higher University of the Year 2012