From: Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matt Doidge [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2012 12:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: pythonpath & multiple pythons

Heya Gareth,

> I may have completely misunderstood what your trying to do (or you may already know this) but if your attempting to use *.pyc or *.pyo files in:
>
> /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
>
> while running python 2.6 (which is what it appears you are doing from below)  then it probably should segfault (particularly if it's a C extension library) as major point releases of python are incompatible... i.e. you can't use precompiled blobs from 2.4 with 2.6, or 2.6 with 2.7. So for instance if you have 2.4 and 2.6 installed on a system there should be a:
>
> /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
> /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages
>
> With packages/eggs installed in each site-packages directory... so for example the "lfc" package should have a 2.6 version.
>
> The easiest way to see what the interpreter thinks it's import path is, is to:
>
> [gareth@limbo ~ $ python
> Python 2.7.3 (default, Sep 26 2012, 21:51:14)
> [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2
> ['', '/usr/lib/python2.7', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gst-0.10', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ubuntu-sso-client']
>>>>

> The PYTHONPATH env variable gets added to this list but there are other default things it searches for first. So if the ATLAS code is using python2.6 and trying to do and "import lfc" on a 2.4 library I'm not surprised it's segfaulting.
>
> As I said I may be misunderstanding what your trying to do, if so sorry!!

Thanks for the information (python is not my strongpoint so your clear
explanation of sys.path is appreciated). There's a slight
misunderstanding here. I don't expect the mismatched python versions to
work, but the segfaulting is "new behaviour" - repeating these tests on
my old glite nodes and python errors at you, fails to load the module,
but doesn't crash. It's the crashing that causes the problem (as it
seems to take the atlas pilot with it when this happens).

My problem is we're trying to develop the relocatable tarball, that puts
site-packages in a non-standard place. This (AFAIKS) requires PYTHONPATH
to be set (talking to John off-list reveals that PYTHONPATH doesn't
appear to be set on his WNs). PYTHONPATH doesn't behave when you're
dealing with multiple python versions with same-named modules as
whatever version of python you're using will always look in the first
place on the path and attempt to load the first matching named module it
finds - even if it's for a wrong python version.

I just can't seem to coax the behaviour I want out of python - to load
into the path only the version-specific site-packages dir.

Cheers,
Matt