Any time that you have a covariate with a large range and that
covariate is associated with your DV, it should be included. It will
reduce the residual error of the model and increase the significance.

The key question is whether the covariate has the same relationship
with the DV in each group. If the DV/covariate relationship is not
significantly different between the groups, then you only need a
single column for each covariate. If the relationship is different,
then you need to model each covariate as N columns for N groups. See
mumford.fmripower.org/mean_centering/ for more details.

In brief, mean centering across everyone leads to covariate-adjusted
means (e.g. what are the group means if each group had the same
covariate value); mean centering within each group leads to the same
group means, but you are controlling for the covariates; not mean
centering leads to the group terms being the y-intercepts.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School