Dear Carl
Maybe you can try the group (normal vs patient) * covariate (the volume of your ROI) interaction model in SPM. You could test the correlation pattern between two study groups. The following reference may be useful for your research.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811909000950http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18554926http://www.jneurosci.org/content/25/36/8303.full
Hope it helps
Best
Paul