Dear All,

Please find appended below an event which may be of interest:

What works? Innovative learning and teaching to improve Built Environment retention and success

11 Dec 2012, CUBE Gallery, 113-115 Portland Street, Manchester. M1 6DW (10:30 to 15:30)

At a time when higher education is under increasing pressure, student retention and success are surely at the top of many of our priority lists.  Once departments have recruited students it is now even more important that we support them in staying at university and doing well.  This ‘what works’ interactive masterclass workshop aims to promote student engagement and belonging for sustained retention and success.  It includes multiple case studies illustrating best practice across built environment and other disciplines.

This workshop will be led by Liz Thomas; Academic Lead for Retention and Success at the Higher Education Academy and professor in the Faculty of Education at Edge Hill University. Liz has twelve years’ experience of undertaking and managing widening participation and student experience research, and is committed to using research to inform policy and practice at all levels. Currently, she is directing a three year research and evaluation programme to improve student retention and success on behalf of the Higher Education Funding Council for England and the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.

Overview of Workshop:

  • Retention and non-completion in England.
  • What works? Student retention and success programme.
  • What works? Model: Improving student engagement, belonging, retention and success.
  • Discipline specific and wider examples of innovative learning and teaching that improve student engagement, belonging, retention and success.

Costs:

This event is £75 for HEA subscribing institutions and £150 for non-subscribers.

To reserve your place on this workshop please email Catherine Redfern [log in to unmask]

All the best,

Aled.

Aled Williams FCIOB FHEA MInstKT

Discipline Lead (Built Environment)

+44 (0)1904 717500            M +44 (0) 7720 968847       [log in to unmask]

Skype  aled.williams_hea

The Higher Education Academy, Innovation Way, York Science Park, Heslington, York, YO10 5BR

www.heacademy.ac.uk – Twitter@HEAcademy

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy. Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131