Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:16:51 +0930
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Questions about Aims, objectives and programme theory gathering for an MSc dissertation.
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Ted
Because I’m extremely cheeky I’ll just add something to Ray’s response.  The first part of your aim seems to say that mechanisms are elements or processes in the interventions.  It might be just the way you’re using the words, but my understanding of mechanisms (at least a la Pawson and Tilley) is that mechanisms necessarily involve participants’ ‘reasoning’ (a catch all term for ‘anything inside their heads’) in response to elements or processes in the intervention.  Ray and Ana’s article (A Realist Diagnostic Workshop – just referred to for Bernadette’s question) is useful for summarising that, too.

As for the ‘who to talk to’ question – I regularly refer, in training programs, to the point Nick and Ray made in the first book, which I paraphrase as “Different people have, by virtue of their role, different information”.  Program authors can tell you how they intended or expected the program to work.  Practitioners can tell you stories about for whom they think it’s worked and for whom not.  Participants can tell you (albeit sometimes imperfectly!) about their ‘reasoning’ and thus about mechanisms.  So you might ponder on ‘what, of what this person can tell me, is relevant to which bit of which program theory?’.  It’s just another way to slice the data cake.

Cheers
Gill