From: "Naoko Skiada" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 23/11/2012 16:08:15
Subject: Socioeconomic Status - nominal or ordinal scale?
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
Hello,

I have been looking at the documentation for the Office for National Statistics Socioeconomic Classification (Rebasing the NS-SEC on SOC2010NS-SEC). On page 13, para 7.2 it advises that derived socioeconomic classification cannot be regarded as an ordinal scale but should be treated as categorical for purposes of analysis.

I was wondering if anyone could explain why that is. From a conceptual point of view, socioeconomic classification indicates access to resources. I have always assumed that socioeconomic status that is "higher" indicates access to more and more varied resources which is the reason why it is a good predictor of good health or education outcomes amongst others.

I have been looking for some literature on this (or an opposite view) but have so far been unsuccessful.

I wonder if anyone could help.

Thank you. ****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask]. Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site http://www.radstats.org.uk/. *******************************************************
****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************