From: "Poetryetc: poetry and poetics"
Sent:Wed, 28 Nov 2012 08:12:37 +1100
Subject:Beatles Mug snap

 Ode to a Beatles Mug

 O tatty sixties busted cup, you'll do,
 even if hot chocolate you hold no more.
 Circumscribed by boys with slim ties and suits,
 your faded plastic still showcases the Fab Four.
 A florin-sized slit chunk of your wide white
 lip rim is gone, above gooby Ringo,
 whose jewel-heavy hands are together laid.
 Vain, unspectacled Lennon stares below.
 Paul's polite grey crewneck buries his tie.
 You still bear your understamp, in Melbourne made.

 Once a showbag trinket, a throwaway,
 now collectable, forty eight years on.
 Each year passing, looks more like Yesterday.
 We loved The Beatles, especially John,
 before he Imagined so naively.
 In a pre-decimal Australia,
 other mega-pop stars with uncoiffed hair
 appeared on all sorts of paraphernalia.
 But it's these mop tops we embraced so keenly
 and this mug has survived its wear and tear.

 Bill Wootton
 28 November 12