Dear Kari,

I work in AI (Artificial Intelligence) and have done for some
28 years, so perhaps you'll not mind if I object to your
characterisation of AI as "...  building new computer programs
capable to do some novel trick."  This is not fair and is so
silly that it detracts from the point you are trying to make.
A point I would agree with.

AI is the science that investigates intelligent behaviour (in
it's considerable variety) by seeking to [re]create it in the
artificial.

AI thus stands apart from, but is a close collaborating
neighbour of the Cognitive Sciences that seek to investigate
intelligent behaviour in the natural.

Because digital computation is the artificial medium of choice
in most AI research, AI is also a close collaborating
neighbour to Computer Science, but not the same as.

Computation, at least just computation, is not the only means
of creating intelligent behaviour, building robots is too.
Even building robots using Lego Technic is ...  something I
first did back in 1988.

You're pointers to Phil Agre's two papers I whole heartedly
support and recommend.  Sadly Phil is no longer active in the
internet communities that he did so much to pioneer.  His
writings still serve us well, however.

Best regards,

Tim