Étienne-Jules Marey used photography to show time changes. He used the camera as a "time-microscope", showing details that were never perceived before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marey&hl=no&client=ubuntu&hs=rNS&channel=fs&prmd=imvnsb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-GyaULruG-fx4QSn64HwAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=975&bih=510

Best
Birger
Fra: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] på vegne av Gunnar Swanson [[log in to unmask]]
Sendt: 7. november 2012 14:24
Til: [log in to unmask]
Emne: Re: Representations of Time

On Nov 7, 2012, at 12:08 AM, Terence Love wrote:
> One of the limitations of  fixed graphics (e.g photographs, images) is they
> are not capable of displaying many  kinds of dynamic  (i.e. time-based)
> changes that are common in real world socio-technical situations.

Terry,

There is a lot of literature about photography as evidence (I'm talking here on a psychological level and I know what I'm saying is largely beside the point of your intent.) Unlike other media, photographs tend to be read as past tense. They are not just incapable of showing time changes. They are largely incapable of showing the present.

Gunnar
----------
Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University