1) Has anyone had experience in the US of an external review
of a Design PhD program to assure the quality, or at least bench-
mark the standard, of research and dissertations that that program
is producing? (One respondent has indicated to me off-list that he
has performed this task for a West Coast Institution.)

2) I would like to collect examples of the instructions institutions
outside the US send external examiners to guide them through
the  PhD evaluation process. If you have access to these letters
or manuals that your institution sends to accompany a dissertation
that is to be reviewed, and can share it, please email these off-list.

By the way, I am not sure I agree with Victor's feelings about the
external examination of a PhD process. I believe that there is a
role for for both formative (advising) and summative (examination)
assessment of a PhD, especially when the claim of any PhD is
to be making a significant contribution to extending a community's
knowledge of a phenomenon.

To this extent, I do not see the difference between examining a
PhD and being asked to review a tenure dossier, a situation that
also determines the fate of someone who you must not have had
an opportunity to counsel, and a process for which one must not
be paid.

Nor is it that different to peer review, thought the stakes are less.

Cameron