On Nov 26, 2012, at 11:23 PM, Terence Love wrote:
> My understanding of the role of references in academic papers  is they are
> solely abbreviation in a logical proof. In effect, the author is saying,
> 'There is part of the reasoning and evidence that I could write here but
> instead I will point you to a place where it is already available.' or ' I
> have used the reasoning or evidence from someone else. It is here. Please
> check the reasoning  and evidence in the original'

Too bad if the reader centered function is left out--the chance to say "If you find what I'm saying is interesting, then you might want to check this out, too" or "Here's something about 15 degrees off course of what I'm talking about but may interest you."

Gunnar
----------
Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University