Cameron,

At US universities, external examiners are required to be on the panel during the defense in almost every subject I know, including political science, communication, IR and anthropology. I don't know about design, but your description does not fit the wider American academic community.

Perhaps -- if this is the cae for US design PhDs -- you could start with other disciplines. In NYC, I imagine your opportunities are limitless and within a Stone's throw.

likewise in Europe, it is FAR more common for schools to "hire their own" whereas it is virtually unheard of in the US. And there are good reasons . . .

Derek

- Quick note from the road