From: "Ken Friedman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: Project UMA

Dear Derek,

You raise important and valid points in your note. This is a large
discussion – far broader than the specific framework of Project UMA, it
would be a thread on what we can know and do, and how.

My note on Project UMA was quite focused. There was a comment on Project UMA
posted to the list stating that even though this is a project in
neuroscience, we seem tohave no one who works in neuroscience and we seem to
have a lack of people with skills in mathematical modeling. A pendant
comment suggested that we chaseddown some funding because it was made
available by funding agencies.

I wrote to demonstrate that we have abundant expertise in neuroscience and
mathematical modeling. And I added that we did not get into this field
because of available funding – rather, we have been investing in this area,
and we won the funding we received in competitive bids against other
projects across a range of fields based on an excellent proposal and a
strong track record.

The question you raise is one for another day. We can talk it over tonight
(well, today where you are). Because this is a core problem in
interdisciplinary research, it requires reflective consideration, especially
in design and design research.

Yours,

Ken

Professor Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished
Professor | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia |
[log in to unmask] | Phone +61 3 9214 6102 |
http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design

Derek Miller wrote:

—snip—

To wit: It is an error to either assume or conclude that relevant knowledge
in the study of a mystery or the solving a problem, is “located” within
disciplinary distinctions. Therefore, the inclusion of people from within a
discipline does not, in itself, ensure that relevant knowledge to a task
will be resident and available on a research or design team. Ken did not say
or imply this, but did offer a defense along disciplinary lines. I would
like to reframe that defense — if I may — because I’m increasingly concerned
about the reification of disciplines as though they “exist” and “work” as
units.

—snip—