Dear All,
I am looking for precedents of US PhD Dissertations being examined
by externals (people who have had no extensive contact with the
candidate in relation to their research - which normally means people
outside of the candidate's Department, if not Institution).

As you may be aware, US PhD candidates have their Dissertations
essentially evaluated by their Committee of Advisors, people who
have been overseeing the research if not involved in its production.
There is usually a public defense at which people outside of the
Committee may raise questions and offer critique, but the formal
'signing-off' of the research as having been of PhD standard is by
that Committee.

By contrast Anglo-European PhDs insist on 3 external reviewers
of the Dissertation, with at least 2 in institutions different from the
candidate's.

I am interested in bringing external examination to the US PhD
model, especially in situations where the epistemology of the
research process may require more rigorous validation, such
as practice-based research.

If you know of external examination in US institutions of PhDs in
design or allied disciplines, or if you know of articles concerning
this issue, please let me know.

I will collate and report back deploying the full authority of my tribe
as below.
Cameron
Assoc.Prof. Cameron Tonkinwise
Director of Design Studies
School of Design, Carnegie Mellon University
MMCH 202A, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
ph (+1) 412 268 6937
email: [log in to unmask]