Dear Terry,

many thanks for the reference - I am up to my neck in  paper right now - so it may take me a while to get to it. I like such flips - this happens with Subject and Object even to this day.

cheers

keith

>>> Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> 11/20/12 3:21 PM >>>
Hi Ken and Keith,

There appears a slight  and potentially useful external link between gnomon
and normal, or, rather,  geometry and theory development.  An interesting
paper on how developments of ancient geometers led to our use the terms
'analysis' and 'synthesis' in almost exactly the opposite way they
originated is found in Koskela, LJ and Kagioglou, M 2007, 'The Proto-theory
of Design: the method of analysis of the ancient geometers' , Journal for
Theory and Application in Mechanical Engineering, 49 (1) , pp. 45-52.

Warm regards,
Terry