Wouldn't it be better to talk of things better than a keyword? #justsaying

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Lorna Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello,

Am I too late to join in?  I've been laid up all day with #ukoercold :}

I've read through the discussions and (surprise, surprise) I agree with Phil and Amber.

Something else to consider....we can talk till we're blue in the face about what we should and shouldn't do, but changing practice is another thing all together.  For better or for worse the ukoer tag is out there in the wild now and it seems to have taken on a life of its own.  It's already been used in ways we didn't originally envisage.  This maybe a good thing or a bad thing, but its definitely a thing. Even if we did decide that this community should start using a different tag now the funded phase of the programmes is over, would people actually do that?  I suspect they might make an effort but I'm not convinced how successful that would be.

I think the community that has formed around ukoer is already starting to demonstrate the sustainability that I believe HEFCE, JISC and the HEA were hoping to see, and as others have said that is arguably a better measure of success than being able to put an exact figure ont he number of resources released.

Right, I'm off for a lemsip now.

Cheers
Lorna

From: Open Educational Resources [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank Manista [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 November 2012 15:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?

Didn't Dave White's work on impact point to this very problem -- the iceberg analogy?  The "stuff" is there, but unless we can show people are using the stuff, then just having a count doesn't give us much.  Borges has a short story about a library where there is every book ever written, along with every variation and every rebuttal, but no one can get in or out of the library;)

Best,
Frank

Dr. Frank C. Manista

Mimas