On 14/11/2012 14:42, Sarah Currier wrote:
>>   So counting the number of resources is a poor way of measuring its impact.
> It's a statistic that many people (and crucially, organisations, institutions and funding bodies) find useful as a starting point for a number of reasons (as Jackie alluded to). It's also one that seems to me to be a totally obvious one to be able to provide- it certainly raised eyebrows when Martin started on his OER Visualisation journey and it *wasn't* easy to provide. And it's not our job to say "Sorry JISC/Dept of ducation/whoever, we can't provide that stat- don't you know it's a poor way to measure impact?"

Well, yes, I agree with that. But it should be the number of resources
produced as a result of the funding not during the the funding period
that is counted (and the difference is sustainability). It would be
wonderful if in 10 years time people were still producing OERs and
saying that they were doing so as a result of the UKOER programme.  And
eyebrows will be raised again if it isn't easy to tell when a resource
went into Jorum.

Phil

--
<http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/>

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.