I am glad Sharon commented on this because I was thinking I was alone in my thoughts.
I would not see the man Lucy describes, or at least I would insist on another OH professional being present in the room as a witness.I would not tolerate verbal abuse.
I once had a client , female about 25, who had a good job and had been off work with some mental health problems.It was a first consultation and it seemed to be going OK and then something happened... I may have said something she did not like. She stood up and start ranting at me in a loud voice and began throw papers from her folders at me.I was, quite frankly, terrified and decided the best thing to to was to make myself small and stay silent. After a few moments which seemed much longer, she stormed out of the room.One of the administrators came to the door as she had heard raised voices and asked if I was OK.Now I am a tough old bird who has been around a bit, but answered "No" and burst into tears. The whole thing was so unexpected....
Except that when I told HR, they said she had done something similar with them, and they hadn't bothered to tell OH.
If you are aware that there might the potential for abuse of any kind, staff should be supported and protected.CheersDiane

Diane Romano-WoodwardRN  RSCPHN-OH  BSc   M Med Sc.(Occ Health)Sunny Blue Sky LimitedCompany Number 06865212

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: