Hi Everyone

Sorry to be late on this. Paul Brown drew my attention to it - I think he knows that I have long held strong views! I missed the Moot because I was at an event talking about writing o and making art ...

Anyway, my pennyworth: I largely agree with Charlie's points, but perhaps have a a more specific focus. To put it bluntly, 'digital' is not the point. The incredible 20th Century transformation was the advance in our understanding of the world through computability and computation. The conceptual leap depended on discrete mathematics, of-course, and so was 'digital'. However, much so-called 'digital art' is only about using digital technology as a tool and has almost no relation to this conceptual transformation. The exploration by artists of this new world mostly users computers, but that is not vital in every case. When a computer is used, we are not talking tools, but software as a mew medium, surely. However, it is computation, not the computer, that is at the centre.

At this moment of time it so happens that we have Manfred Mohr's show at Carroll/Fletcher in London and mine at Site Gallery in Sheffield illustrating this very point. As well as computer driven works, my show, in fact, includes paintings, drawings and notes that are all about computation but did not employ computers directly at all. See http://research.it.uts.edu.au/creative/eae/www/Art/LightLogic/LightLogic.htm

Ernest