Hi Martin,

 >The one point I was disagreeing with, is that open source being the only
 >solution, as to limit artists to open source is a political
restriction to
 >be avoided.

I 'm not saying it is the only solution - it is an ethical approach and
it scrapes against the grain of capitalist desire and romance for
'shiny' gadgets, products and notions of (supposed) progress - I think
we'll have to continue to disagree here, which is of course fine :-)

 > I do think if someone (including an artist) isn't involved in the
 > community around open source development, or involved in actually
 > developing, then they are simply acquiring the software. If someone
 > simply acquires open source s/w there is no difference between
 > purchasing non-open source. It is a just a tool they have acquired to
 > exploit.

An interesting point and I kind of half agree on this. But, I can also
view 'open source development' as being important in infrastructural
situations, such as when workers at an office make the time to learn
open source and escape the endless payment of licenses - I see this as
important. This includes curating, not necessarily as an absolute, but
as part of a process where a 'rethinking' of our relationship with
technology becomes part of the critical dialogue.

Enjoying the dialogue...

wishing you well.

marc

 > Hi Marc
 >
 > I was mainly considering the bigger point of how an artist uses tools.
 > To use a computer program is an abstraction of the computer. I
 > certainly didn't mean to imply that the issues below are abstract, and
 > you must realise I'm not disagreeing with you on that! The one point I
 > was disagreeing with, is that open source being the only solution, as
 > to limit artists to open source is a political restriction to be
 > avoided.
 >
 > I do think if someone (including an artist) isn't involved in the
 > community around open source development, or involved in actually
 > developing, then they are simply acquiring the software. If someone
 > simply acquires open source s/w there is no difference between
 > purchasing non-open source. It is a just a tool they have acquired to
 > exploit.

 > On 23 November 2012 01:08, marc <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >> Hi Martin,

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change
since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield