Hello- does  anyone have any information on the effects of thermo lignun treatment on DNA, proteins, chemical preservatives and pollutants on bird and mammal taxidermy specimens (especially those up to 100 years old and more). I’ve seen an article on tests on fairly recent (20 year old) insect specimens We want to ascertain this ahead of using the treatment on specimens of particularly rare and extinct species.

Yours,

Henry

Henry McGhie BSc MA AMA | Head of Collections and Curator of Zoology (Honorary Scientific Associate, Faculty of Life Sciences) | Manchester Museum | The University of Manchester | Oxford Road | Manchester | M13 9PL

t: 0161 275 2482, f: 0161 275 2676 | www.manchester.ac.uk/museum | blog http://naturemanchester.wordpress.com | www.facebook.com/ManchesterMuseum | Follow us on Twitter @McrMuseum

Exhibitions: Breed: The British & their Dogs, until 14 Apr 2013 | Alan Turing and Life's Enigma, until 18 Nov 2012
Gallery redevelopments: Ancient Worlds now open www.ancientworlds.co.uk | Nature's Library opens Apr 2013
Other projects:
The Museum Allotment | www.museumofmystery.org.uk

Awards: Joint winner of the Clore Award for Museum Learning 2012 | Longlisted for the Telegraph Family Friendly Museum Award 2012 | Living Worlds shortlisted for the Museums + Heritage Permanent Exhibition award 2012 and the Design Week Awards 2012 in the Exhibition Design category

Designated as an Outstanding Collection

This year I am promoting biodiversity for the good of the environment and for people's well-being

P Before you print think about the ENVIRONMENT