Two post-doc positions are available to work in my research group on the
quantum-mechanical theory of cold and ultracold molecules, to start as
soon as convenient. The provisional titles are:

 1. Ultracold molecules from ultracold atoms: quantum theory of
    molecules at nanokelvin temperatures;

 2. Cooling molecules to microkelvin temperatures: using the theory of
    ultracold collisions to cool molecules and understand their behaviour.

These positions are for 2 years (with some possibility of extension,
depending on how funding develops). They are associated with a large
EPSRC grant entitled /MMQA: Microkelvin Molecules in a Quantum Array/,
joint with experimental groups at Durham (Eckart Wrede, David Carty,
Simon Cornish) and Imperial College London (Ed Hinds, Mike Tarbutt). We
also collaborate extensively with experimental groups in Innsbruck,
Heidelberg and elsewhere.

Cold molecules provide a fascinating playground for molecular quantum
mechanics. We develop theory that is closely related to current
experiments in this fast-moving field. Applicants will need to have
experience in _developing_ theoretical methods in one of the branches of
molecular quantum mechanics (collisions, wide-amplitude vibrations,
electronic structure, etc. etc.) and will share my fascination with
understanding fundamental quantum behaviour in molecular systems.

For formal information, or to apply, go to the Durham University Website
at https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_durham01.asp and _either_ enter
reference number 2262 _or_ search for "Cold Molecules". The closing date
for applications is 3 January 2013, and applications _must_ be made via
the Web site above (though I am happy to answer informal enquiries by
email).

For a more informal description of what we do, look at
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/. Further information on the proposed
projects (designed for Ph. D. students, but equally applicable to
post-docs) is available at
http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/studentships-info.pdf .

Jeremy Hutson

--
Prof. Jeremy M. Hutson, FRS
Dept. of Chemistry

World-Wide Web home page:http://www.dur.ac.uk/j.m.hutson/

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html