Looking at various publications, including a recent paper by Peter Claughton & Bradford Barton's publications, there would appear to be some misconception regarding the source of production figures published in the Mining Journal & elsewhere. A lot of these figures have been quoted as for sales of ore by ticketing, when in fact they were not.

Briefly, ticketings were a form of sale when a meeting was held when purchasers of ore presented a bid based usually on assays they had already taken. These ticketings were held in Cornwall & Swansea for copper ore & at Holywell for lead ore (I am not aware of anywhere else).
Much lead ore was sold by mines sending out samples to smelters & receiving bids back by post, which definitely was different from the process of ticketing, or by private contract with a paticular smelting company. Much of the date in the MJ was evidently supplied voluntarily in response to their request for production data, from the 1840's onwards.
I would feel it is probably correct to state that sales can only be considered as by ticketing if the original sourrce specifically states that was the case.

Any comments?

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------