Thanks, Gordon, for updating me on the Canterbury restoration studio.  In relation to Tom's point, I would not like you all to think I was criticizing Rachel Koopmans' lecture.  Scholarship, which is what most people on this list are engaged in, is certainly important, but so is disseminating the results of scholarship to the public.  That is one of the things that makes us "relevant", and anything that can be done to further engage public interest in things medieval is a good thing.
As well, in addition to all of the restorations and "fakes" among the Canterbury glass, it is also worth pointing out that there is still a substantial amount of original glass surviving in the cathedral.  Another problem in its study is that much of it is displaced, both within the cathedral and there is even some in museum collections now.  It can be a daunting task to approach this important body of stained glass.  Besides the solid scholarly works of Madeline Caviness, a recent book which makes this glass very accessible is M.A. Michael, Stained Glass of Canterbury Cathedral (London, 2004), which has a short chapter by Sebastian Strobl on the restoration and conservation of the glass.  It is also put into useful context in Richard Marks, Stained Glass in England during the Middle Ages (London and Toronto, 1993).
Cheers,
Jim

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Luongo, F. T [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: November 13, 2012 1:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] The Fake Medieval Images in Canterbury Cathedral

I think it is worth pointing out that in the lecture in question, Koopmans was not asserting the discovery of the fakes as news.  I take it that she was discussing the reasons why the fakes took people in and (apparently) persist in being treated popularly as legitimately medieval.  In the lecture Koopmans stated that the fakes were exposed beginning in the '70s.  (I'm getting this from the medievalists.net report cited by Paul Chandler.)

Tom Luongo