Hello Karl,
You are not alone.  I consider the term "minor arts" to be both odious and misleading.  There is nothing minor about many of them.  I refer to them as precious portable arts.
Cheers,
Jim
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Christopher Crockett [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: November 8, 2012 8:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Ecclesiastical furniture?

thanks to the notice on this list a few weeks ago that the proceedings of the
Met's Year 1200 conference are available online, i’ve been reading this
interesting contribution:

William Wixom, “The Greatness of the So-Called Minor Arts,” in The Year
1200 II: Background Survey (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1975), pp.
93-132

which has led me to begin writing --after several years of thinking about
it-- a chapter of my book (to be published early in the next millennium) on
“The Problem of Lost Monuments and the Implications of Destruction”

although i knew that it would be difficult to write about “Lost
Monuments”
generally, i have discovered that properly illustrating such things is
proving to be a much, much harder task.

but, nonetheless, in keeping with the ancient Traditions of this list, i shall
persevere, ad nauseum if necessary.

Wixom is primarily concerned with “portable altars, book covers, crosses,
crosiers, chalices, patens, candlesticks and large casket shrines” --which
constitute the overwhelming majority of the “lost monuments” which i am
interested in discussing the implications of.

i have a question about the proper term to use to refer to most of the objects
in that list, viz., portable altars, crosses, crosiers, chalices, patens,
altar cloths, etc.

however, calling all these objects “ecclesiastical furniture” sounds
rather strange in English (since they can’t be sat on or lain on or even
eaten off of), but i’m really drawing a Blank thinking of another term to
use here.

does anyone have any better suggestions about a term to use here?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]