----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dillon" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:52 AM
Subject: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: November 25 (part 2)

Today (25. November) is also the feast day of:

But according to hallowed Church of England tradition, today is also STIR UP
SUNDAY.

The collect for the "Twenty-Fifth Sunday After Trinity" which "shall always
be used upon the Sunday next before Advent" (this being long before such
suspiciously Roman feasts as "Christ the King" were imported from ....
abroad) runs thus:

"Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that
they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be
plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

And good housewives throughout the land know that this is the reminder for
them to get to work this week making their Christmas puddings, which should,
of course, be stirred with a wish, by every member of the family.

This predates hand-written letters to Santa Claus by a good few centuries.

Modern footnote:

Common Worship dared not eliminate this piece of tradition!  But it is now
used as the Post Communion Prayer for the "Sunday Next before Advent".

So I shall still have dried fruit on my shopping list this week ......

Brenda,

Brenda M Cook,
Independent Scholar

"I care not if you bridge the sea,
Or ride secure the cruel sky,
Or build consummate palaces,
Of metal or of masonry;

But have you wine and music still,
And statues, and a bright-eyed love,
And foolish thoughts of good and ill,
And prayers to them who sit above ?"

James Elroy Flecker: "To a poet a thousand years hence." (1915)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]